Arbor Week: May 28th to June 6th, 2021
SOS Trees Coalition in partnership with a growing number of community organizations including the Meewasin Valley Authority, University of Saskatchewan and the City of Saskatoon will be hosting the 2021 Arbor Week celebration.
Arbor Week 2021 is an opportunity for individuals and families to learn the "how to" of planting trees, the benefit of trees and the joy of spending time in them. Our theme for the 2021 Arbor Week is 'Resurgence'.
Due to the Pandemic, events will be a mixture of virtual and small group/bubble activities. Our goal this year is to inspire and educate so that we will be better prepared for when we can gather again to begin an expanded planting of our urban forest.
SOS Trees Coalition applied for a proclamation for an Arbor Week with the City of Saskatoon.
The City has now officially proclaimed May 28th - June 6th, 2021 as 'Arbor Week'.
We have also applied to the province along with another organization for the same request.
Events for RESURGENCE 2021
We are planning a number of activities that are focused on this theme of 'Resurgence'. After
many months facing a pandemic, we feel this theme appropriately depicts renewal, hope, and a "fresh start." As we know trees can provide positive benefits on our mental and physical health. Due to Covid, we've had to get creative with our planning to ensure that participants are safe.
The Arbor Week committee is still recruiting additional partners and funders for our Arbor Week activities.
If you are interested please contact us.
- May 28th - Mayoral Ceremonial Tree Planting to Kick off Arbor Week
- May 30th 1 - 4 pm: Remai Modern "Something on Sundays" will feature a pop-up tree card making activity. It is a drop in come and go free activity. Capacity at one time is 20 people including staff. Masks are mandatory. There is a free gallery space on the main level, The Connect Gallery, if people have to wait to get in. There are drawings of medicinal plants and trees by artist Clara Hume.
- June 5th - Friends of the Saskatoon Afforestation Areas will host a clean up at the George Genereux Afforestation site. Time and more information coming soon.
- Webinar co-sponsored by the University of Saskatchewan - date to be announced.
- Holy Cross High School - Art teacher Ann Donald's grade 9 and 12 classes will be creating tree sketches and paintings for Arbor Week.
- Meewasin Valley Authority - There will be a self guided tree related scavenger hunt at Beaver Creek. More information coming soon.
- Hues Art Supply - Plein Air tree sketching/painting with artist Jean Dudley. Date and location to be announced.
- True Tree Stories - Will be published in the SOS Trees May Newsletter (send in your story)
- Saskatoon Cycles - 'Hot Drinks Outside' gathering under an interesting tree. Date and location to be announced.
- Brightwater Science and Environmental Centre - Student tree planting project
History of Arbor Day in Saskatchewan
For many years within the province an annual spring observance occurred that involved most schools, many community groups and municipalities, and concerned individuals. The day was marked with the planting of trees, the cleaning up of yards, streets and alleys, choosing and protecting a particular area of natural habitat and generally celebrating our dependence upon nature and specifically trees.
In 2019, the Yellowhead Flyway Birding Trail Association (YFBTA), an affiliate of Nature Saskatchewan, began working toward the province proclaiming and publicizing an annual spring Arbor Day/Arbor Week. On April 25th 2020, the Government of Saskatchewan officially proclaimed May 22, 2020 as Arbor Day and May 17-24 2020 as Arbor Week.